Comprehensive PPM Roadmap
As you begin the PPM process, we strongly recommend that you take a moment to read through this roadmap. The PPM roadmap is provided in an effort to enhance your facility and comfort levels in completing the Performance in Practice Module (PPM).
- We highly recommend that you print out a copy of this roadmap for quick reference.
- Login to your Physician Portfolio using your ABFM ID and password.
- Follow the link in the Physician Portfolio to the Track Your Progress page and from there to the PPM selection page.
- Select the Comprehensive PPM link—you will be able to change your selection if you wish, once inside the PPM.
- On the first page of the PPM application, you will be given a unique PPM ID that will enable you or your staff to access the PPM while bypassing access to your Physician Portfolio. Your PPM ID will be operational for the remainder of your Family Medicine Certification cycle (or 10-year MC-FP cycle if you've chosen the 10-year extension pathway). However, as soon as you complete the PPM successfully, the ABFM will no longer retain any link to the PPM ID for reasons related to your privacy. If you wish to use the PPM ID beyond this time, you will need to retain the number in a safe place. The ABFM will not be able to retrieve your PPM ID after you have completed the module.
- To begin the Comprehensive PPM process, you will first select (at least) five indicators from the 29 indicators included in the module.
- You will have the option to either collect individual patient data, or use aggregate data if you receive such reports from third parties or your electronic health record system.
- Once you have selected at least five indicators, you will download and print out 10 copies of the indicators instrument (if you intend to do individual patient collection), or a summary instrument for the indicators (if you use aggregate data).
- Gather your data on either 10 appropriate patients or from aggregate reports.
- Once you have gathered your data, return to the PPM area of the ABFM website and enter your data. You may allow your staff to do this by providing them with your PPM ID.
- After completing your data entry, you will receive feedback regarding your performance in comparison to your peers who have also completed the PPM. NOTE: If one of your staff is entering your data for you, you may want them to print out your report for you or you may view it at a later date.
- On the basis of your feedback, select at least one indicator on which to perform a quality improvement project.
- Once you have selected an indicator, you will advance to the Quality Improvement (QI) "Wizard", which will present you with online QI tools organized according to Wagner's Chronic Care Model.
- Choose at least one intervention from at least two separate Chronic Care categories. These interventions will have associated web links; click on these links to view and download the associated tools.
- You will then proceed to the Intervention Plan description page. Here you will have the option to design "custom" steps that you think might work for your practice. Your plan may be quite simple and streamlined, focusing on a single issue, or may be more "systems-based."
- Complete and submit your QI plan. You may now log out of the PPM area of the ABFM website. Spend at least one week implementing the plan in your practice.
- After at least one week has passed, return to the PPM and enter your post-intervention data in the same manner as done initially.
- Wait for feedback to be generated and view your performance on the indicators. If you have chosen to do so, you may compare your performance pre- and post-intervention. You can also view comparative reports. NOTE: If one of your staff is entering your data for you, you may want them to print out your report for you or you may view it at a later date. Your PPM ID will be operational for the remainder of your Family Medicine Certification cycle. However, as soon as you successfully complete the PPM, the ABFM will no longer retain any link to the PPM ID to protect your privacy. If you wish to use the PPM ID beyond this time, you must retain the number. ABFM will not be able to provide your PPM ID information after you have completed the PPM. In addition, please note that after your PPM is completed, only your PPM ID will allow access to PPM for the current certification cycle; your ABFM ID will not allow access to your completed PPM. Note that the PPM does not assume any particular performance threshold for success. Participation alone satisfies the Performance Improvement requirement.
- Having successfully completed all phases of the PPM, you will be given the opportunity to evaluate the experience and receive CME credit. The ABFM will automatically release your CME information to the AAFP.
- This completes your PPM, and satisfies your Performance Improvement requirement.
Please note: There is no limitation as to how often a Performance in Practice Module (PPM) can be repeated; therefore, credit for both CME and Family Medicine Certification can be awarded more than once in any given year.